NBA PRESIDENCY: OBEGOLU BACKS ARTHUR OBI OKAFOR
Former Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) General Secretary, Chief Emeka Obegolu has urged lawyers to elect Chief Arthur Obi Okafor SAN as the next NBA President.
In a statement made available to CITY LAWYER and titled “A New Bar Beckons,” Obegolu who is also the Vice President of Pan Africa Lawyers Union (PALU), said:
“In two days time, the voting members of the Nigerian Bar Association will vote to elect the National Officers that will conduct the affairs of the Association for the next two years. This years election is not only unique for the challenges encountered by the electoral committee in choosing the service provider for the election platforms for verification, accreditation and voting, it is unique because it comes at a time when there appears to be a consensus among members that there is need for paradigm shift to a more responsive member oriented and vibrant Bar that will, in addition to propagating the fundamental objectives of NBA, also represent the interest of majority of members. A new Bar with ne way of doing things.
“I have been opportuned to serve the Nigerian Bar Association as General Secretary and therefore has the benefit of institutional history and the possible road map for the Bar we all deserve.
“I have read the respective manifesto incorporating the visions of all the presidential candidates, placed them on an imaginary scale and also subjected them to reality and consistency tests and therefore come to the conclusion that, whilst all the candidates are qualified to hold the office, only one president will serve the NBA and therefore we must select the best among equals to serve our common interest.
“I am excited that Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN not only made promises but also identified the roadmap and strategic milestones which are verifiable and clearly attainable. These visions include:
1. Independence of the judiciary
2. Support for electoral reforms
3. A progressive and inclusive Bar
4. Bridging the gap between young and old members
5. Professionalization of NBA Secretariat
6. Strengthening the sections and fora of NBA
7. Comprehensive mentorship programme
8. Expanding opportunities in legal practice
9. Advocating free legal trade in Africa
10. Regulated remuneration for legal documentation
11. Electronic library services for members
12. Combating unauthorized practice of law
13. Refocus the Continuing Legal Education programme to deliver cutting edge knowledge
14. Discipline and Ethics at the Bar
15. Digitalization of NBA Secretariat
16. Legal partnership advisory
17. International Young Lawyers exchange programme
18. Accountability and transparency
These are, to my mind, very much achievable within two years and it is always better for the visioner to be elected to drive the vision
I therefore appeal to all well-meaning members of Nigerian Bar Association to vote in the overall interest of the Bar to elect a leader we can trust. I will vote for Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN as that man that the NBA needs at this time.
We all need an all-inclusive Bar.
High Chief Emeka J. P. Obegolu, FCIArb(UK), FICMC
Past General Secretary, NBA (2012-2014)
Vice President, Pan Africa Lawyers Union (PALU)
Send your Press Statement, Events, News Tips, Opinions or Informed Commentary to email@example.com
Follow us on facebook at City-Lawyer-Magazine
Copyright 2018 CITY LAWYER. All materials available on this Website are protected by copyright, trade mark and other proprietary and intellectual property laws. You may not use any of our intellectual property rights without our express written consent or attribution to www.citylawyermag.com. However, you are permitted to print or save to your individual PC, tablet or storage extracts from this Website for your own personal non-commercial use.