My ordeal with EFCC, by Ubani

Former Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Second Vice President, Mr. Monday Ubani has shed more light on his face-off with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

According to Ubani, circumstances conspired to foist a state of helplessness on him, moreso as he personally persuaded his client and former National Insurance Trust Fund Chairman, Mrs. Ngozi Olejeme to return to Nigeria to face her charge.

His words:

Friends, thanks. It is not as if I was careless. See reasons for my action which now looks as if I was sentimental:

  1. I brought the said woman back with all her family members from South Africa to come and respond to her allegations.
  2. She had multiple operations prior to her coming and requested that her medical condition will not permit of any detention.
  3. Despite that fact, she was detained for 14 days in a hospital before release.
  4. Her health was deteriorating during that detention and pressure was mounted on me the lawyer to get her out on bail.
  5. She presented qualified sureties in accordance with the bail condition of EFCC but was rejected by them.
  6. They insisted on senior citizens and important personalities to stand.
  7. EFCC said that they won’t mind if I stand for her since I was the person that brought her back.
  8. The time for this discussion was 10 pm.
  9. The said woman had not taken her bath for the 14 days she was in detention due to her health condition.
  10. It would have amounted to a betrayal to her and a dent to my own integrity towards a woman I brought back to reject to stand for her when that window of opportunity was thrown open that my suretyship will suffice.
    11 Think what you will do if you were in my shoe.
    12 It is easy to criticize when you are not the one involved or if you do not have the full facts or know the full circumstances.
    She was later chased away for another matter that has nothing to do with the matter she came for. They invaded her home with several policemen and searched her house for over 3hrs. She was really scared and slipped away from her house when they left her to go for another matter. Since that day she ceased communication with me. I still went after her by getting INTERPOL to place her on Red Alert which was what I went to report at EFCC and was asked to be locked up for 24 days. IT SHALL END IN PRAISE! The experience while in there was a tremendous BLESSING FOR ME. THANKS FOR STANDING FOR ME AND WITH ME SIRS AND SISTERS. MOU.

Copyright 2018 CITY LAWYER. All materials available on this Website are protected by copyright, trade mark and other proprietary and intellectual property laws. You may not use any of our intellectual property rights without our express written consent or attribution to However, you are permitted to print or save to your individual PC, tablet or storage extracts from this Website for your own personal non-commercial use.