Prominent senior lawyer and Second Republic politician, Chief Guy Ikechukwu Ikokwu who died last Wednesday was admitted to the Bar 61 years ago. A fiery activist and elder statesman, Chief Ikokwu would be remembered for his fiery interventions on national issues. CITY LAWYER dug into the archives for his profile which is presented below.
Date of Birth: Tuesday (Eke) 28′” September, 1937
State of Origin: Anambra Local Government Area: Idemili South
Contact Address: ‘Isu Lodge’ Oba Idemili South L.G.A
4, Ezinifitte Close, New Haven Enugu 10 Johnson Street, Surulere, Lagos Contact
Telephone: 234-1-2882099, 234-42-451463
Chief Guy Ikechukwu Ikokwu is top Legal Icon, a grassroot motivator and mobilizer, a decent politician and strong builder of relationships. Guy is known for his organising ability and as a man who is able to hold forces together and cement relationships for greater collective and individual achievement. Guy descended from an ancestry background with gifts to build up community solidarity and progress. His father was a powerful tool of unity and under whose leadership many Igbo people rallied together for unity in Port Harcourt of the Colonial days.
• St Cyprian’s Primary School Port Harcourt 1943 1950
• Baptist High School Port Harcourt 1950 1956
• Norwich Polytechnic London. 1957
• North Western Kentish Town London 1957- 1958
• Holborn College of Law London, 1958 1959
• University College London
• Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, London University 1961 1962
• Concurrently at School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) University of London Qualifications
• LLB (lions) London
• LLM, London
• BL of the Middle Temple London
Membership of Professional Associations
• Member, Nigeria Society of International Law
• Member Nigeria Bar Association – Financial Secretary of the Association 1975 1977
• Student Activist and Member of Movement for Colonial Freedom under Late Lord Fenner Brookway 1950 1960
• Member and later President in 1960 of Nigeria Union of Great Britain and Ireland. London Branch Life President West African Student’s Union Britain 1961 1963 Member and Officer of Committee for African Associations – a Pan-African Movement for the Liberation of Unity of African Countries 1960 1963 Director of Overseas Press Service (OPS) 1967 1970 as a way to protect his people and project their view points during the gruesome war against them.
• Founding Member and National Legal Adviser of Nigerian People’s Party- NPP and became its Stale Chairman in the old Anambra State 1980-1983
• Member of Steering Committee of All Politicians’ Summit which culminated in the Summit of 1995. He was also a Member of G. 34 Association for the Restoration of Democracy and against self-succession of Sani Abacha in 1998
• He formed with a group of others the People’s National Forum (PNF) which eventually joined other groups to form the big People Democratic Party-(PDP) and subsequently became its Lagos Co-ordinator. Became a member of the Steering Committee of the PDP Anambra State in 1998 and in 1999. he became once again, the State Chairman of the Party .
• A Peace-loving gentleman who will stop at nothing to achieve that, he was the founding member of the Committee for the Unity and Understanding (CUU). This was to build a bridge across the Niger and Benue Rivers for better (1986-1999)
• Member of OHANA EZE NDI-IGBO – a socio-cultural association of Ndi Igbo for awareness and unity and advancement.
• A founding member of IZUNWANNE FOUNDATIONS – the Cultural Association to foster a better Nigeria Polity 1990 1999.
• At various times, he had been a founding member of Southern Leaders Forum for harmonization of issues of concern in Nigeria Polity and Promotion of Democracy and True Federalism and NADECO 1995.
• A member, Board of Directors Aba Textile Mills Plc, 1976 and 2000
• Chairman of Governing Council of Federal College of Education, Obudu, Cross River Stale Nigeria
He is honoured with the title OMENIFE. This great and clean politician is married with four children.
SOURCE: Blerf’s Who is Who in Nigeria https://blerf.org/index.php/biography/ikokwu-guy-ikechukwu/
Copyright 2022 CITY LAWYER. Please send emails to email@example.com. Join us on Facebook at https://web.facebook.com/City-Lawyer-Magazine-434937936684320 and on TWITTER at https://twitter.com/CityLawyerMag. To ADVERTISE in CITY LAWYER, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 08138380083. All materials available on this Website are protected by copyright, trade mark and other proprietary and intellectual property laws. You may not use any of our intellectual property rights without our express written consent or attribution to www.citylawyermag.com. However, you are permitted to print or save to your individual PC, tablet or storage extracts from this Website for your own personal non-commercial use.