NBA BENIN BRANCH: OF INROADS AND MILESTONES
DOUGLAS OGBANKWA, former Nigerian Bar Association, Benin Branch Publicity Secretary chronicles the achievements of Mr. Pius Oiwoh-led Branch Executive Committee for the period August 30, 2020 to August 30, 2022
1. Presentation of budget to the General House for approval, the first of its kind in the history of NBA Benin Branch.
2. Provision and distribution of High quality Lion Diaries and Journals to members for two years now, becoming an annual practice to members with updated information of the Courts across the Country and Security helplines.
3. Synergizing with Civil Society Organizations in calling on the relevant authorities to shore up the security architecture of the State.
4. Organizing the very first NBA Benin Children’s Christmas party under the office of the Social Secretary.
5. Celebration of Human Rights Day under the office of the Vice Chairman.
6. Advocacy and intervention on Security Related Matters concerning the vulnerable that have resulted in the release of countless number of persons.
7. Organised two flawless and elaborately executed Annual Bar Dinners with Pomp and Ceremony, that was the talk of the town.
8. Tightening the noose on fake lawyers which has led to the arraignment of some fake lawyers at the Magistrate Court.
9. Intervening in the arrest of persons in the aftermath of the EndSars protest that led to the release of countless number of persons found innocent.
10. Prompt intervention in any matter involving lawyers with Security Agency either by handling the situation personally or mobilizing other officers of the Branch Executive Committee to any Security Outfit with promptness.
11. Intervention in the health affairs of members by galvanizing support for members in ensuring that financial support is provided for them.
12. Constituting through the NBA Benin Young Lawyers Forum’s a Robust Legal Team to provide Free Legal services to the Vulnerable in the Justice Ada Ehigiamusoe led Edo State ENDSARS Panel. Also, facilitating training programmes for young lawyers through the Young Lawyers Forum.
13. Facilitating, through the Young Lawyers Forum, the first ever YLF Essay Competition with attractive prizes being claimed by the winners.
13. Policy Advocacy on important issues of state concerning the three organs of Government.
14. Setting up a covid-19 Regulations Human Rights Watch Committee to ensure observance of respect for Human Rights in the enforcement of Covid-19 Regulations in Edo State.
15. First ever nine lessons and carol jointly organized by the NBA and the Edo State Judiciary.
16. Acquisition of land and rapid development of some to have the NBA recreation centre and multipurpose building.
17. Provision of NBA Branded podium.
18. Changing the chairs at the Constance Momoh Hall to more suitable chairs befitting lawyers.
19. Complete re-roofing of the Bar House with step tiles to solve the long standing problem of leakage and replacement of the ceiling with the new suspension ceiling.
20. Installation of WIFI services at the Bar House by Dele Edokpayi Esq.
21. Construction of a Gymnasium, restaurant and office space at the Bar House extension.
22. Rejuvenation of social media platforms of the Branch Whatsapp group.
23. Giving out of stipends to members who got married
and identifying members who were bereaved.
24. Stationeries and meeting signposts donated by Chief Nosa Edo-Osagie.
25. Refurbishment of the conference room upstairs with the full compliments of conference tables, chairs and electronic devices, servicing of all the air-conditioners at the Bar House for optimum use.
26. Refurbishment of the offices of the Chairman and Secretary with brand new furniture and repainting of same.
27. Ensuring members get their stamp and seal promptly at no extra cost.
28. Improved relationship with the Judiciary under the dynamic leadership of the Rt. Hon. Justice Chev. J.I. Acha, Chief Judge and his predecessor in office, Hon. Justice E.A. Edigin, which has lead to the provision of a parcel of land to the Bar.
29. Provision of a cloak room and spaces for the Bar notice board donated by Jefferson Woghiren, strengthening the various committees of the Bar through invitation to regularly update members at monthly meetings.
30. Galvanizing support for sick members by paying visits, raising funds and making donations to them.
31. The appointment at a goal of 4 new Senior Advocates of Nigeria, distinguished Members of the Lion Bar.
32. Regular and unbroken requests by distinguished Members of the Bar to host at monthly meetings where members are lavishly treated.
33. Training of over 100 Lawyers with certifications in dispute resolution under the sponsorship GIZ, a German firm, Edo State Multi door Court House and other trainings by ROLAC, Rule of Law and Anti Corruption.
34. Improved relationship between the Bar and other bodies through courtsey visits and synergy.
35. Establishment of Police Duty Solicitors Scheme PDSS, and LACT, Legal Aid Cordinating Team, under the sponsorship of ROLAC.
36. Organizing a health week for members under the office of the Welfare Secretary amongst others.
37. Approving a new fees regime for Lawyers to meet with the present economic reality thus enhancing the welfare of Lawyers.
39. Putting in place a stressless and convenient mode of payment of dues and BPF by deployment of Bank officials to station in the Bar House.
40. Repainting of the Bar House to wear a new look.
41. Online directory/website which is at completion stage and the restructuring of the secretariat.
42. Designing and putting in place, a hall of fame with photographs of past Chairmen from inception of the Branch.
43. Laying of the foundation of the Plot B of the Bar Secretariat and completing the ground floor named after Hon. Justice Esther Edigin, former Chief Judge of Edo State.
To join our Telegram platform, please click here
COPYRIGHT 2022 CITY LAWYER. Please send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org. Join us on Facebook at https://web.facebook.com/City-Lawyer-Magazine-434937936684320 and on TWITTER at https://twitter.com/CityLawyerMag. To ADVERTISE in CITY LAWYER, please email email@example.com or call 08138380083. All materials available on this Website are protected by copyright, trade mark and other proprietary and intellectual property laws. You may not use any of our intellectual property rights without our express written consent or attribution to www.citylawyermag.com. However, you are permitted to print or save to your individual PC, tablet or storage extracts from this Website for your own personal non-commercial use.